Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artificial Rational Beings in Human Society

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Artificial Rational Beings in Human Society Reply with quote

_ Artificial Rational Beings in Human Society _

Nerdy For purposes of this thread, please reference this updated document...

The above document is not intended to be the definitive authority on the topic… Jello!
It is just a simplified Taxonomy to give a common nomenclature to facilitate discussion. Neutral

In a previous thread, The dilemma of Rational Robot, we explored by what means Rational Robots, and by extension any Artificial Rational Beings (ARBs), could become common place in Humans Society in spite of the moral objection to ownership.

The three most relevant answers are:

1. Property—an ARB is an object and can be owned, slavery only pertains to a person
  2. Indenturement—an ARB owes its manufacturer the cost of manufacture; it must earn its freedom.
  3. Original Debt—an ARB is a free person, but carries the debt of its manufacture; it is financed against its future earnings.

Another idea put forth is:
  • Adoption—a human family (or person) absorbs the cost of an ARB’s manufacture; it becomes their Ward until deemed ready to enter society.
I’m not convinced that human altruism extends beyond the confines of the family, let alone to an Artificial “Person.” I could be wrong… Squidly!

How will Artificial Beings actually be Intergraded in Human Society?

As a Flaky Pastry Croissant! Futurist Coffee! — I am curious… Yummy!

⇒ One way to get a handle on this question is to look at stories that treat the topic... Then mine them for ideas and examples… Idea

To accomplish this, I’m extending the list I started at the end of the The dilemma of Rational Robots tread (and contributed to by falingard).

I’ve divided the List into two main categories:
  1. Artificial Beings (ABs) commonplace and integrated in Human Society (HS)
  2. ABs are poorly integrated in HS—one-offs, shunned, or enemy of humanity.

ABs commonplace and integrated in HS → Literature
  1. Heinlein’s Friday—artificial people and living artifacts
  2. Cordwainer Smith’s Norstrilia—under persons (domestic animals genetically engineered to look and behave somewhat human
  3. Asimov’s I Robot stories—positronic robots; acceptance varies with the form of AB and immersive culture **suggested by ~Kevin
  4. Russ Manning’s Magnus Robot Fighter 4000 A.D. Golden Key comic book series—mankind dependent on robots
  5. Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy—the first ARB in a world full of ALBs **suggested by ~falingard

ABs commonplace and integrated in HS → Cinema
  1. Ghost in the shell—cyborgs, robots, and bioroids.
  2. Star wars all episodes—modified human clones and robots
  3. Wall-E—mankind dependent on robots; robot love.
  4. I Robot Will Smith—robots and cyborgs, when the 1st of the "Three Laws" is carried out to its logical end-- edit add

ABs commonplace and integrated in HS → Television
  1. Ghost in the shell: Stand alone matrix—cyborgs, robots, and bioroids.
  2. Big O—robots big and small (ARBs), implanted skill sets & memories, artificial humans, robot love (R. Dorothy Wayneright )-- edit add
  3. Get Ed—Genetically engineered humans, clones, robots, holograms, and surprisingly few real people ⇒ Dojo Delivery, a courier service, thwarts evil industrialist's plans -- edit add
  4. Bots Master—megacorporation has “bots” (ALB) monopoly; lone genius fights their tyranny using his self-aware 'BOYZZ' bots (ARBs) **suggested by ~falingard
  5. Astro Boy—the first ARB in a world full of ALBs **suggested by ~falingard

Contributors’ additions are in BLUE

ABs are poorly integrated in HS → Literature
  1. Karel Čapek’s R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) a play—manufacture of 'artificial people' (robots) ends badly in their revolt
  2. Jim Shooter’s Magnus Robot Fighter Valient comic book series—self-conscious robots seek freedom; go to war with humankind
  3. Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus—the world’s first AB creation goes horribly wrong **suggested by ~falingard

ABs are poorly integrated in HS → Cinema
  1. Bladerunner—bioengineered humanoids
  2. Terminator and sequels—"Kill all humans"**suggested by ~falingard
  3. Short Circuit and sequel—ARB accidentally created from prototype military ALB **suggested by ~falingard
  4. Metropolis (Fritz Lang)—imposter ARB created for evil purposes**suggested by ~falingard
  5. Metropolis (Akira Rintaro)—"artificial human" created to conquer **suggested by ~falingard

ABs are poorly integrated in HS → Television
  1. Star Trek and its incarnations—humanoid robots, Data, the Borg, Hologram people **suggested by ~falingard

Contributors’ additions are in BLUE

This is certainly not exhaustive… Confused

Please be brave Grrr!, step up, and post a suggestion! Wink

Edit: I found an extensive "List of fictional robots and androids" in Wikipedia. It has neither the right format nor broken into categories of interest... Neutral but I will work on it in my infinite spare time llamallama

Last edited by duLapel on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must point out that in Asimov's stories, the artificial rational beings are neither fully accepted or fully rejected.

Religion, location, type of artificial construct all determine the level of acceptance.

I believe this is the most realistic approach, and accomplished only by giving total freedom to such artificial beings.

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have thought this topic as merely an eccentric exercise...Nerdy mental masturbation if you will… Embarassed

Well, it looks like the far future is much closer than we think… Brainwashed

Military’s killer robots must learn warrior code Gah! WTF?!
Leo Lewis** wrote:
Autonomous military robots that will fight future wars must be programmed to live by a strict warrior code or the world risks untold atrocities at their steely hands.

The stark warning – which includes discussion of a Terminator-style scenario in which robots turn on their human masters – is issued in a hefty report funded by and prepared for the US Navy’s high-tech and secretive Office of Naval Research.

The report, the first serious work of its kind on military robot ethics, envisages a fast-approaching era where robots are smart enough to make battlefield decisions that are at present the preserve of humans. Eventually, it notes, robots could come to display significant cognitive advantages over Homo sapiens soldiers.

**See, Lewis, L. (Feb. 16, 2009). Military’s killer robots must learn warrior code. Times Online.

Nerdy Read the actual report for yourself

Arrow Lin, P., Bekey,G., & Abney, K. (Dec. 20, 2008). Autonomous Military Robotics: Risk, Ethics, and Design. Prepared by California State Polytechnic University: for US Department of Navy, Office of Naval Research.
ZombieDish
Virtuoso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should just treat them as we treat computers today.

But if we do that we need to install emergency shut off switches of course in cause something bad happens.
qm3ster
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LITERATURE? DURR?!
Zingoleb
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombieDish wrote:
We should just treat them as we treat computers today.

But if we do that we need to install emergency shut off switches of course in cause something bad happens.

I don't know if this is a good idea. My operations usually involve much yelling and swearing.
ZombieDish
Virtuoso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe robots are a bad idea.

Bad.

Unless they are like Wall-E and EVE. And then it's alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: