Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hai Everybody
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kugai
Transcendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hands Kevin a bottle of Romulan Ale*

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to to nothing - Edmond Burke

You can never have too much Coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kugai wrote:

Well What is it? Confused

Well it's... It's... It's green Brainwashed
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE THAT CLIP! Very Happy

and this episode was on the wb in a remastered version just two weeks ago ;D

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
Kugai
Transcendant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duLapel wrote:
Kugai wrote:

Well What is it? Confused

Well it's... It's... It's green Brainwashed

Actually, Romulan Ale is a clear, luminous electric blue.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to to nothing - Edmond Burke

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kugai plaintively wrote:
Actually, Romulan Ale is a clear, luminous electric blue.

True... True... but Mr. Scott trying to remember what the green liquor of Ganymede is called...

Arrow let-alone trying to pronounce the Jovian moon's name is much funnier... Du du dududu du du!
ZombieDish
Virtuoso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NERDS! Razz
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZombieDish wrote:
NERDS! Razz
Nerdy And...?
Zingoleb
Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duLapel wrote:
True... True... but Mr. Scott trying to remember what the green liquor of Ganymede is called...

Absinthe? Wait, no, that's Terran. Razz

I didn't honestly think my thread saying yes in Japanese to everyone would really cause such a...reaction.
rocklikeafool
Journeyman

Location: In the far side of oblivion...a. k. a. some fantasy book...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingoleb wrote:
I didn't honestly think my thread saying yes in Japanese to everyone would really cause such a...reaction.

It's not that surprisin really. A bunch of bored ppl. Hm...a forum...things to discuss...and we have "Hai Everybody". This is how these things go.

Btw, logic pwns all.

Call me rlaf for short. Thanks.

I rocked so hard they called me foolish. Btw, I only like Venezuelan coffee; the pure native brew there is awesome!
Kugai
Transcendant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Zingoleb

*Clears throat*

[Spartanmode]THIS IS FLAKY PASTRY!![/Spartanmode]

Zingoleb
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Flaky Pastry. Now with the new artwork, I am scared and confused. It is something I may or may not get used to.

Oh, and since we're going into √90,000...

[Spartanmode]THIS IS SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION[/Spartanmode]

Edit: Strange, this seems to be enlarging my signature...causing my 'large sig' comment to be sadly ironic.

Edit2: And yes, I am closing tags.
BlueCatShip
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, hey, hai, and yo. -- Two friends recommended Flaky Pastry to me. It is not often one finds croissants, dragons, beings of uncertain species and sexuality, and forum scifi references, all in one place.

I went on a Flaky Pastry binge. I...nn...need...mm...more!

I'm excited and looking forward to the new storyline(s).

Vive Le Croissant! Omelet, c'est toi!

(Hmm, FF's spellchecker really should learn more than English....)
duLapel
Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow I don’t make a habit of posting articles directly preferring to link them after a bit of commentary.

This is the exception… ( Rolling Eyes “yeah, right…”)
It is clearly written and gives sufficient history and detail to allow a reader to get something out of it without having to have a degree in physics. It uses a current experiment (one that won’t blow up the world) to illustrate that Quantum Mechanics maybe guiding us to a “Spooky Action at a Distance” kind of new physics.

. . . . Nerdy Nerd Alert **klaxon blaring** Nerd Alert Nerdy

The following is an 830 word article Gah! WTF?! relevant to the more eccentric discussions embedded in this string.
Terence Rudolph has made readable some very sophisticated concepts… Idea

Brainwashed but let those who have a two sentence attention span be warned… Brainwashed

Note: NATURE is one of the World’s premier science journals…
... one that can frequently be found on Nitrine’s nightstand… after stealing it from Marelle Neutral

___from ___ Nature Vol 454|14 August 2008–NEWS & VIEWS (pp 831-2) QUANTUM MECHANICS

The speed of instantly
Terence G. Rudolph

Pairs of quantum-mechanically entangled particles seem to know at once what is happening to each other. Experiments show that even if this signalling is not instantaneous, it must be really, really fast.

One piece of Einstein’s theory of relativity that has taken hold in popular imagination can be summarized by the mantra “nothing travels faster than light”. What is less well known is that the theory of quantum mechanics, which deals with the behaviour of very small systems such as atomic and subatomic particles, violates the spirit (if not the letter) of this fundamental principle. Quantum mechanics predicts that, in certain circumstances, an activity performed on one particle can instantaneously change the properties of another particle, no matter how far apart the two particles are. On page 861 of this issue, Salart et al. (1) describe an experiment to test how fast ‘instantaneous’ really is.

One particularly strange feature of quantum mechanics is quantum entanglement. In an experiment involving this phenomenon, a physical property of a particle (or larger system) becomes instantly dependent on the properties that are being measured on another particle, regardless of how far apart the particles are. In a letter to Max Born in 1947, Einstein dismissively called this effect of quantum entanglement a “spooky action at a distance”, and thought it indicated that the theory of quantum mechanics was incorrect.

Einstein was not the first to express repugnance at instantaneous action at a distance. Two hundred and fifty years earlier,
Isaac Newton wrote:
... that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me so great an absurdity that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it. (2)

Newton was writing about his theory of gravity, and it was Einstein who showed in 1915 that the action of gravity is not instantaneous but is caused by a ‘mediation’ signal (the warping of space-time), which moves with a finite speed. Salart and colleagues’ experiment (1) tests whether the interaction between entangled particles is also conveyed by a mediating signal, and if so, how fast this signal must travel.

In addition to acting instantaneously, and in contrast to other physical effects whose magnitudes vary with distance, the effects of quantum entanglement are predicted to have the same strength no matter how far apart the entangled systems are. Erwin Schrödinger was uncomfortable with this idea, and, in the very papers in which he introduced the term entanglement (3, 4), proposed that some unknown process must ensure that entanglement occurs over only microscopic distances. He was wrong. The distances over which entanglement has been shown to be maintained increase every year. For example, Salart and colleagues’ experiment (1), which is not designed to test this question, itself measures the entanglement of a pair of photons separated by 18 kilometres.

Salart et al. entangled their photon pairs using a source in Geneva, Switzerland, then passed them through fibre-optical cables of exactly equal length to receiving stations in the villages of Jussy and Satigny, which lie respectively east and west of Lake Geneva. Here, the photons’ entanglement was checked by an identical pair of interferometers. As they had travelled identical distances, the photons would have reached the interferometers simultaneously, as best as modern optics and electronics allows. Despite this, Salart et al. see consistent entanglement of their photons, which means that the time taken by any hypothetical signal passing between them is below the detection limit of the equipment.
There is one subtle feature to all of this, however. Any hypothetical signal has its speed defined in a specific ‘preferred frame of reference’, which is not the same as the surface of the Earth. Salart et al. were able to check their results against all possible frames of reference by using Earth’s rotation. The two villages in which they placed their detectors lie almost exactly east–west of each other, and the authors ran their tests at all hours of the day and night, allowing them to probe every possible orientation of the experiment against a hypothetical preferred reference frame. Taking into account the accuracies of their experimental design and making some conservative assumptions — for example, that Earth is not moving relative to the preferred frame of reference at more than a thousandth the speed of light — Salart et al. conclude that any signal passing between the entangled photons is, if not instantaneous, travelling at least ten thousand times faster than light.

The experiment of Salart et al. (1) beautifully probes the deep tensions between foundational aspects of two of our most fundamental physical theories — relativity and quantum mechanics — using quantum entanglement. From it we can conclude that any theory that tries to explain quantum entanglement by invoking a transmission mechanism will need to be very spooky — spookier, perhaps, than quantum mechanics itself.

Terence G. Rudolph is in the Department of Physics, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK.
e-mail: t.rudolph@imperial.ac.uk

1. Salart, D., Baas, A., Branciard, C., Gisin, N. & Zbinden, H. Nature 454, 861–864 (2008).
  2. Newton, I. in Isaac Newton: Philosophical Writings (ed. Janiak, A.) 102 (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004).
  3. Schrödinger, E. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 31, 555–563 (1935).
  4. Schrödinger, E. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 32, 446–452 (1936).

whuuu? "Enough... enough! Arrgggg!
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will read this in a bit, if you promise to check out the math thread tomorrow Very Happy I will be giving you my "Rational Irrational Number" post ^_^

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
BlueCatShip
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there was something in there about bodies acting on one another. Who knew math and science could be so racy? :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: