Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Layout poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> Flaky Pastry
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I put on the front page?
Splash image
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Most recent comic
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Guestbook
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Splash + comic
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Splash + guestbook
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Comic + guestbook
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Splash + comic + guestbook
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

falingard
Archmage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Layout poll Reply with quote

I've been wondernig a little bit, lately, about the layout of the comic. I'm pretty happy about the current layout, I daresay I did a good job making everything look good and be relatively accessible. BUT I was wondering if different elements should or should not be on the front page.

Many comics have the most recent strip/page displayed on the index, as soon as you enter the site. Previously I had not done this because I couldn't work out the php to make it work how I wanted! Now in my free time I have worked this out, it isn't a problem anymore. BUT, if I do that, there are downsides: There won't be much room to show the current splash image anymore, and someone who just wants to come to the site to navigate through the links or the forums or something will have to go through the loading of a comic no matter what, even if it happens to be a supersized one.

Also, I was thinking of perhaps putting a registration-free guestbook on the front page, to encourage people to leave comments without having to go through the forums. This would also take space!

Then there are the 'news'. The original free source code I modified to make my site was set to display news items with each strip, I had to tweak it a lot to get all the news in one place, independantly of the comics. If I now put the comic itself back on the main page but with the current set-up, we'll have a bunch of unrelated news right below it. I'm not sure how I would feel about putting news back on the comic pages, to be entirely dependant upon the comics. Some sites do that. But it feels wrong to me, when some news happens that has nothing to do with a new comic being posted.

But I ramble, as I sometimes do.

Last edited by falingard on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a minimal click-through person. When I go somewhere to get something, I like it there as soon as I see it!! It does not bother me to load up a comic even if I am coming for something else, because generally, as a comic site, I expect to see the comic first. I fear that if comments were enables on the comic itself, the forums would become unnecessary.
As for news, it all depends what you want to write. If you start making page-long entries about life, then maybe you would want to keep them on a separate page. But they are so short, I don't think they would be so bad beneath the comic. Coffee!
Dishninja
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am with her on that. Almost every comic I visit tends to have the new comic right there.
If I feel like staying around after reading it to click I will.

that and I haven't posted on the Pastry board yet.

Confused
Katra
Initiate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set my bookmark to the comic page so I never see the front page.
Kugai
Transcendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Comics I go to have the latest Comic first and I like that. If I feel like it, I'll go further, or into the Forum if I have something to say.

But really, it's your Comic Falingard, and how you set it up is up to you as it's creator.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to to nothing - Edmond Burke

You can never have too much Coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Lord Daishi
Disciple

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comic on front page
Kashim
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the comic should be the first thing you see when you load the page, the below the comic should be a news area.
BoSheck
Lord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really with the majority here. I like a sort of splash page style, with the option to access the comic through a 'latest comic' button, and also a link in the newspost (which Felix generally does.) I read newsposts, and generally feel like I come away with something from them, no matter the comic.

Having the comic come up first thing on the page has a sort of...keenspot feel to it. There are some good comics on keenspot, but it's mostly amatuer. That doesn't mean they can't be good, thats just how it is. I like the cleaner feel that the old layout had. It was similar to Penny Arcade or 8-Bit Theatre.

Won't affect my readership, but it is an opinion poll, and there's my 2 cents.
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like guest books because people tend to get a lot of jerks and spammers who post in them.

I like th eidea of a good splash page. Maybe splash link to wallpaper of the splash image Very Happy

Change the splash/wallpaper image around every few months.

Then leave the most recent comic to be clickable from the index.

^_^

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
agonistes
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the strip today. I'm fairly picky about the online strips I read, but the art and color caught my eye right away. Having the current strip up, AND an easily accessible archive - an archive which allows the reader to pick specific dates/strips - are two great practices. I like things the way they are.

But if I *had* to make a suggestion... how about some some random shots of the characters, or teasers, off to one side?

SWIMSUIT EDITION!!!
erejnion
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes seconded. it'll be fun. loots of fun. (i agree on the other point too xD
it's perfect now. something more elaborated~~ for the 500th Very Happy )

ps: swimsuitless even. or maybe i'm asking too much Rolling Eyes
Silverburn
Initiate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just plain most recent comic would be enough I think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> Flaky Pastry All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: