Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Title Texts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> Flaky Pastry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flint_A
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Two Title Texts Reply with quote

On some strips, I have noticed two different title texts. I am unsure how to switch between them. Sometimes it changes on a refresh, sometimes it changes when I turn images on/off. (Though admittedly that also refreshes the page, so maybe it's just the refresh.)

For example, on strip 632, one text is: "Normally I don't like being manipulated, but being manipulated into sticking it to abusive authority (or any authority), is alright, I guess." and the other is "Don't you worry, folks, the elves have a top-notch forest fire prevention program".

Similarly, on 629 one text is "Try finding all those scenes in the background in previous comics! There is one you will not find." and the other is "The only nudge in the background there that didn't show up in a comic before now is arguably the most important: the one where she leaves that book on Chaos weapons lying around where Tares is bound to notice it."

As far as I can tell, 630 and 631 only have one text. (At least I couldn't find any other.)

In these strips, both texts fit the context and make sense. But I can only see one or the other, never both. I even inspected the code. The rest of the code is exactly the same, except whichever text I'm seeing is in the "title" slot with absolutely no mention of the other text.

Is there any way to see both (or all?) of these? How long has this been going on? Should I go back and manually refresh/check hundreds of strips? Was this common knowledge and am I stupid for not having noticed for so long, or did I just uncover a huge conspiracy? Help!
falingard
Archmage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job noticing it! Very Happy

Occasionally, I would get more than one idea for alt text (which is awesome, since I usually have trouble coming up with one)... so I wrote a little piece of code that can choose randomly from a list when that happens. This is server-side, so you wouldn't see it in the page's source code.

I don't think there's any way to make sure you've seen all of them, but over 98% of pages still have only one possible alt text, and those that have more several rarely get more than 2-3.
Flint_A
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrrgh... I thought it might be something like that. You wouldn't happen to have a list of which ones have multiples, would you? Razz

I love your work and I love little details like this, and it's always so annoying when I notice them too late...
falingard
Archmage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... so far it was in the following pages:
526, 528, 529, 532, 613, 629, 632

(as you can see, I forgot I could do that for a long while)
Flint_A
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 3 on the first two, 4 on 529(all funny), 2 on all the others. Of course there's always the chance there's more that I simply never encountered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> Flaky Pastry All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: