Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic Readers- How would you feel about Audio supplements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Comic Readers- How would you feel about Audio supplements? Reply with quote

Lately I've been considering expanding my webcomic and econtent to include audio supplements for the visually impaired.

As a comic reader, how would you feel if more people did this? Would you enjoy podcasts of your favorite comics if you can't reach your computer?

Obviously some audio elements would be expanded to compensate for the lack of visual elements, which may make for more depth of story.

So what's your take on this?

I'm also considering the option of trying to bribe artists with an exchange - draw one page of PandaKing for me and I'll write short scripts for of your comic pages Very Happy

I wonder if any comic artists will bite.

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
BlueCatShip
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,

Think about how you'd do an audio version of the comic. Dialogue, narration, scenic and character and situational descriptions... what would it need?

A visual comic and an audio element? The two could complement each other and add to the enjoyment. I could also see that an audio version or podcast might be its own thing, independent of the drawn comic or adding to the drawn comic.

Hmm... that gets close to doing an anime, you know? Captions / subtitles and descriptions would be of help to a Hard of Hearing / Deaf audience. Audio-only or audio that doesn't require the still images or video to enjoy the audio would benefit Low Vision / Vision Impaired / Blind audience members.

I'll be sure to check out your comic.

-- I'm low vision / vision impaired, and I like comics. Flaky Pastry is great, in that it's very readable for me, aside from, it's a great comic, well drawn and well written. -- Thanks to Félix Lavallée for a great webcomic, and thanks to two friends for showing it to me. Smile
Kevin
Transcendant

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a writer by nature not an artist, which is really why it's taken so long for me to finish page 6 of my story. I've completed the script for pandaking already.

So writing the scenes and descriptions really is easy for me, then I'd just read it out each page just as an audio book.

My Novel: A Black Superhero in 1953
http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/johnrocket/index.html
Available NOW!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: