Running with Pencils Forum Index Running with Pencils
Where the mind frolicks dangerously

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Through a mist of silver light
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> In-Character
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, well... if that is true for here, I guess where I come from isn't so different. We have forests and fields, too. No ocean, though. Only a swamp. No-one lives there, though. I suppose..." he continued watching through the window, half speaking for Liam, half for himself. "There might be an ocean somewhere, but not in the Four Kingdoms."

His dark eyes strove to keep up with the various things they were passing, calculating, as if he were actually considering such an idea for the first time. "I... think... we tend to dwell in more closely-packed communities. In more vertical layers, instead of being so..." His hands spread out, as if he were gazing at the ranch houses and pressing them apart with his tiny hands, "horizontal."

"But then again, I'm from the capital city, the largest there is." A note of pride. "I haven't spent extended time in the countryside, apart from summer follies and the odd adventure out with the cousins." He fell silent again, replaced one hand against the strangely-textured door.
falamh
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That musta been neat," Rai's soft voice came from a bit lower... she was half-laying across the backseat now. "Me and my mommie lived outside the village. Out in the woods. Didn't see any oceans then, either... I thought everything was my river and the trees an' the fields with their flowers, the streams..." Her voice was a little dreamy, a little distant. "And with Daddy, everything was silver, cept when I...when I dreamed it different."

"You doin alright, Rai?" Liam asked, giving her a worried glance. Quick, he clearly didn't like to turn his eyes from the road. The buildings were more crowded, bigger now. The occasional bright sign went past.

"Fine. Just dun like cars. They feel all wrong, like wagons but too fast." A chuckle. "I c'n move faster on my own, but it's different this way. You're better'n me, Kizu, I kinda remember bein scared of these things."
________
F1 642

Last edited by falamh on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The princeling shook his head. "Wouldn't say that." But what it was precisely he didn't mention.

"Sounds like we grew up in the same sort of place, then. Thinking the world was all that we could see and no more."

And how he could see, now. Lines of humped cars like giant beetles, or ambulatory castles, bright-lit signs and the rushing sound of road under all of them. He looked up, through the hedge of wires and stiff architecture. Were there any birds here at all?

The sight of open sky stirred a wild, sad desire in him. He had not seen the sheer expanse of the heavens in many weeks. He thought of his fool brother, grim and wearing mourning colours in Miteka's tiny, enchanted marvel she kept as a mere toy. To give his thought power, fuel, was only to put into consciousness the underwelling: What am I doing here?
falamh
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yeah, I guess so. I used to forget a lot, but I could always remember being with Mommie. Daddy used to try to help me forget the day we lost her, but it was the only thing I kept 'fore Zannie."

Despite the heat blowing through the car through the vents, there was a sudden chill. The windows fogged a bit, and Teka shivered. She shifted her hand a little, then looked back at Rai.

"We're almost there! Y'want anything?"

Rai blinked a few times. "Can't eat, remember?"

Teka didn't let it phase her. "But I KNOOOOW you like playin with straws. We'll get a few extra for Rai, right?"

Liam chuckled. "Sure, and some napkins, too. Tell you what, Rai, I'll try and show you how to make an oragami crane again, how's that? You got pretty close last time."

The chill faded. Rai smiled. "That sounds...nice."

And then the vehicle pulled into a parking lot, shuddered and came to a stop, the muted rumble of engine ceasing.
________
Digital Vaporizers

Last edited by falamh on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akizu shivered, too, more pronounced for the shirtsleeves he wore and was subsequently thrown off balance by Miteka's movement. He caught himself before he stumbled more than a step, but his eyes registered a hint of alarm under his glossy shock of hair.

He straightened, outwardly unruffled. "We'll just stay here, then, eh? We can wait for you to come back."

The food was fast. They had said so. But what kind of food was fast? And why would it be? The notion was rather odd.

He gave a half-apologetic shrug in Miteka's direction. "I can't go with you; my glamour is off. It was matter of fact, as if it just happened all the time, and were a minor inconvenience that had to be reckoned with, like having a hangnail or a broken shoelace.
falamh
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was not his place to comfort her. But he felt the smile, knew that smiles hid more than they showed.

"You... don't have to be happy all the time, Rai," he said, and patted her hand. "And what is true where you come from isn't true everywhere, huh?" He paused. "People are scared of things that are different, maybe. Maybe that is all."

She gave a solemn nod. "Well, some people. And then there's folks like Liam." A chuckle. "Sometimes people think you're nifty, right? And sometimes they just dunno what to make of you."

Akizu laughed. "I'm sure there are. A bit like you, too, eh?"

A chattering family walked past the minivan, opening the doors of their car parked nearby and clambering inside. The princeling froze, relaxing only when the engine revved to life and the car drove away.

Rai chuckled. "Don't worry so much. If they noticed somethin, they prolly wouldn't believe it. Not if they saw it fast. Li tells me that all the time."

A faint embarrassed look passed over her face.

"Well, as long as it's not big. Like fallin through a table an' two people, an' then havin this slip..." She held up a length of chain, lifted it so the charm no longer touched her flesh. The wings flickered back into view a moment, the glow softly remanifested. These disappeared once more as she let the charm fall.

"It only happened once, though. An' nobody...got hurt?"

The princeling nodded, grinning up at her. "Well, it helps when you can run for it if things go bad. For me... well... once this girl tried to put me in a jar. I still don't know why. I think she thought I would leave."

"After that I sure did."

"A jar? Ugh. You poor thing... did she at least give you air?"

He straightened proudly. Had his wings been there, they would not doubt have ruffled back. "Never got me that far. I managed to escape."

Of course, the escape had gone terribly wrong, and he had nearly died, but that wasn't worth mentioning. Not now.

"Good! Nothin should ever live inna jar." Rai said that firmly. "Poor fellah."

She glanced out the window.

"It always feels kinda dead in places like this. With cars, and lotsa pavement, and nobody with wings." She considered him. "Does it feel different to you? Maybe somethin's missin."

He scratched his head. "Everything is so different from where I am from, Rai. It feels more dangerous than different. But... not enough trees, and all of everything covered over..." he nodded. "It is strange."

He regarded her a moment. "I don't understand what got said earlier, Rai. About you not being able to go very far. It seems like you can go wherever you want. Fast as you want. Why does being here make you tired?"

"I can go lots of places, but only so far in each one. And...this place is really close to the edge of how far I can go here."

She laughed a little.

"It don't make much sense. Didn't start till after the fire. 'Fore that, I could go whereever, as far as I remember, but now I can only go so far anywhere. And I can't stay away from m'house very long, or I get pulled back."

A pause.

"Cept when I was with Maree. It didn't pull me back, an' we were gone a looong while."

"That was because there was a thing that kept you away, Rai," he said quietly. "But what fire? There was a fire?"

She nodded solemnly. "After Teka was born, there was this...bad dog." She sounded hazy, a little like one telling of a nightmare barely remembered on waking. "He tried ta take her away, an'... I got hurt. Real bad. An'...It's really hard to remember..."

She closed her eyes. "I remember...Daddy's voice. And one of my aunties was there, an' it was cold...Zannie was there. I could hear his voice, but I couldn't see him. And...auntie Varuu, she kept sayin it was gonna stop hurtin soon, it'd all go away soon... an' we were in my house, in th' Seed. An...."

A breath.

"An' everything suddenly went bright, an' was on fire. Burning, burning..."

Her eyes opened.

"I...I can't remember much after that. I jus' know...it was all wrong. And when I woke up, everythin' was different somehow."

The princeling shivered, and tried not to stare at the demigoddess' face.

"I don't think... I don't think I will ever be able to understand you and Miteka," he said. "But... I'm glad you are here. And... Rai? You know, if you ever need anything, want anything from me... I owe you everything, you know?"

Rai blushed. "That's not much ta talk about. Guess it's a funny way to say I dun really understand myself, why I get tired. I jus' do."

She then smiled, reached out a fingertip and held it out near him. As though she was going to pat him maybe, but she didn't.

"That's really sweet of you. I'll remember that, but y'don't need ta think that way. Anybody should help when they can, right?"

He anticipated the contact, and when it didn't come, he reached up a tiny hand and rested it lightly atop the proffered finger.

"They should," he said, "but... they don't always. And sometimes it takes a lot to just ask."

He glanced up at her, and for a moment of time, the dazzle of her dimmed by the illusion, the blush still in her cheeks, he was awed by her beauty, the way that mortal creatures defined it. And for that instant, he wished he were not merely in the palm of her hand, but that he could hold her hand.

A faintly wondering openness filled his eyes, and he blinked.

"Asking is awfully hard. An' I guess should never seemed like a good word. Should sounds like you're gonna ignore it. I like ta think that anyone can be good, an' do good things."

Her silvery eyes settled on him, and she smiled warmly at his delicate touch. "You've done a lotta good yourself, jus' by bein there for Teka."

The shift of topic was good for him. He could feel the tips of his ears heating, and he was at a loss to explain it.

"I... I worry about Teka," he said. "I don't think I can stay with you both forever, but I worry for her when I go. I mean. Aron is still there. And I think it is good for her to have family close."

He shook his head. It wasn't often that an adult-style conversation occurred with Raeden. "She says she will be fine, that she is used to people leaving... but I don't think anyone ever gets used to that."
________
Website design

Last edited by falamh on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He tried again, searching awkwardly. "I guess what I mean is... I myself have fairly large family, and an exceedingly large extended family, and it seems that, well... I mean... It must be hard to grow up without much of one around, or without many friends."

"Though, there is much I don't know. I don't know if Miteka attends a school, or if she often visits other places. And not that you aren't an excellent sister...or... um, mother... or family... or teacher... for her. And of course there is Liam, and Aron. I know so little it is laughable, actually. Don't mean to be too... ah, nosy, or... but... I guess I have kind of grown attached to her, Miteka, I mean."
falamh
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teka went to school a little while, here. I tried havin her stay with Li for it, but she didn't like it much. I wasn't real sure what else to do, but Li thought it was a good idea at the time. As far as family, I guess me an' Aron an' Li are sorta what she has."

Rai looked at Akizu while she said this, her pale eyes solemn. "I'm not much of a mommie...hers was sorta crazy an' died when she was born. Kinda part of why Zannie wasn't so well, too..." A shake of her head made the small beads in her hair glimmer and glint in the grayed light. "She really don't have much, family or otherwise. An' she likes you."

A weak little smile came over her face.

"But all her friends can help her, right? An' even if ya can't stay, we can make sure you can visit."
________
MERCEDES-BENZ C216 SPECIFICATIONS

nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, yes, certainly," he nodded vigorously in response, smiling reflexively to lighten the mood.

"Cheer up, Rai. It's still a while before the wings and everything get worked out anyhow, eh?"

The mention of Zan again made him feel ridiculous in the wake of his sudden wondering. There was the ring on her finger that she treasured, after all. He gave it a glance as he sat on her hand. Mentioning Zan would make Rai more glum, though, it seemed, so he refrained.
falamh
Grandmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It won't be too long, Kizu. Don't worry 'bout 'em. You feeling alright?" Rai ducked her head a little, to examine him more closely.
________
Dr800S

nau
Transcendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He grinned jauntily. "Sometimes I have the balance of a drunken courtier,
but apart from that, everything is fine."

Not that he was the doctor, of course. But so far, so good. As far as he knew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Running with Pencils Forum Index -> In-Character All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: